Environmental Stewardship - Higher Level Stewardship (HLS)
These pages provide links to various ALGAO papers relating to Higher Level Stewardship. Developments are ongoing and we will continue to update and add new material as it becomes available. A number of superceded documents are also available for reference.
Further information on HLS is available from the Natural England website:
- Higher Level Stewardship
- Documents to help with HLS applications
- HLS Application Handbook Third Edition (2010) with Official List of Changes (2011)
- Higher Level Stewardship - a spatial approach
See also HELM Farming the Historic Environment guidance documents (English Heritage/ALGAO/Defra)
This new application process for HLS was formally launched on 1 July. It comprises three types of HLS application, Fast track, Standard and Complex.
Fast Track applications
- Fast Track HER and EH consultation Service Standard v.1.4 (.pdf 825kb)
- Fast Track HER consultation letter (.pdf 223kb)
- Fast Track HER Response Proforma (.xls 39kb)
- Fast Track English Heritage consultation letter (.pdf 223kb)
Standand and Complex applications requiring an externally commissioned FEP
- Standard and Complex Tier Service Standard 2011 (.pdf 179kb)
- Summary of Standard and Complex Tier Service Standard 2011 (.pdf 101kb)
- HER pro forma for Standard and Complex HLS consultation (v.5) (.xls)
- HER pro forma for Standard and Complex HLS consultation (v.5 without thesaurus) (.xls)
Resources for FEP surveyors
- How to copy and paste data from HER to e-FEP March 2012 (.pdf, 1.16MB)
- How to copy data from one row to multiple rows (.pdf, 494kb)
The new SHINE-HLS Trial consultation process was formally launched on 18th November 2013 and provides an on-line service intended to make it quicker and simpler for HERs to deliver the mandatory ‘FEP HER Response’, and bring English Heritage advice into the pre-application stage of the consultation process. The SHINE-HLS Service Standard is only applicable to those taking part in the Trial
FEP HER Consultations: 14th March 2014 and beyond
Many historic environment/archaeology services will be receiving HER consultations after the Consultation Window closes on 14th March. FEP Surveyors are being told that HERs are not being held to a formal response time for consultations submitted beyond 14th March but are being asked, if possible, to respond within 28 days.
Further information is available here
Phase 2 Targeting
The following documents were produced to assist members and others to feed into the process of Phase 2 Targetting to establish HLS Target Area and Theme Statements in 2009.
Heritage Targeting Dataset
- Phase 2 Targeting of Environmental Stewardship - Regional HER Input (.pdf, 15kb)
- Heritage Targeting Dataset - Presentation (.mdi, 735kb)
- Heritage Targeting Dataset - HBSMR Procedure (.pdf, 106kb)
- Heritage Targeting Dataset - non-HBSMR Procedure (.pdf, 30kb)
- Heritage Targeting Dataset - Data Standards (.xls, 16kb)
- Heritage Targeting Dataset - Monument Types (.pdf, 54kb)
- Heritage Targeting Dataset - Procedure for HBSMR Users using ArcGIS (.pdf, 129kb)
- SNHDMonType (.xls, 21kb)
- Heritage Targeting Dataset - update on progress - September 2008 (.pdf, 34kb)
Top 35 sites
Additional HER Datasets:
- Regional HE Datasets - Pro Forma Instructions & Examples (.pdf, 40kb)
- Regional HE Datasets pro forma (.xls, 28kb)
The following documents were superceded in July 2011 but are included for reference.
FEP Service standard (superceded July 2011)
- Service Standard - Version 3.0 (October 2008) (.pdf, 502kb)
- Briefing note to members on Revised service standard (.pdf, 44kb)
FEPs resources for HERs (superceded July 2011)
- HER FEP Consultation pro-forma (eHER) (April 2009) (.xls, 721kb)
- HER FEP Consultation pro-forma (v3.02) (November 2008) (.xls, 400kb)
- HER feedback pro-forma (.xls, 212kb)
- Pre-FEP assessments, 28/06/07 (.pdf, 41kb)
- Prioritised HLS Applications for SSSIs, 21/08/07 (.pdf, 46kb) Content superceded by Fast Track Process in July 2011.
Application handbooks (superceded)
- Revision of ES handbooks - update September 2008 (.pdf, 42kb).